Story Hub: [link]
\\~~~\\
III //~~~//
The ambiguous formal, the purpose of which still eluded Serena, proceeded without incident, or at least she assumed so. Princess Irene grew bored of the affair very quickly. Since most of the nobles present seemed more interested in badgering Princess Atlanta or Caenia for gossip concerning recent events, Serena took it as an opportunity to quickly exit the affair. Orpheo found them a nice, quiet side room to rest and ride out the rest of the night.
Normally, such a high-ranking member of the royalty exiting an event so early would be scandalous, but everyone present was so focused on Atlanta and Caenia that Serena was certain no one would notice Irene’s absence. Even if they did, most of the nobles wouldn’t care enough to comment. However, despite getting her wish in avoiding politics for a night, Serena was left with a different problem on her lap.
“I’m bored,” Irene declared as she swung her legs on the neon-pink couch. Much like the formal itself, Serena didn’t know much about the building it was held in. It was some kind of mansion or manor on the far side of the city near a steep hill overlooking a river and forest. Serena could tell they were close to the suburbs, as the brilliant crystals and gemstones used to construct the heart of the city had disappeared into the distance and were replaced with post-post-modern architecture, large green lawns, and marble everything else. Basically, they were in the part of the city where rich people who wanted more space but didn’t want to be too far from downtown lived. But that made this mansion even more confusing because it didn’t look lived in, or at least Serena didn’t want to imagine the kind of person who would live in it.
“Don’t you have your phone?” Serena asked the princess as she observed the rest of the blindingly neon-pink room. It wasn’t quite a bedroom, because there was no bed, but it wasn’t quite a side room because it was too fully furnished and didn’t branch off from any other rooms. Also, all the furniture, pillows, walls, ceiling, and most everything else were colored this gaudy, neon pink. Aside from the white marble floor and some white trim here and there, the room was a total eyesore.
“Nope,” Irene gestured to the lack of pockets in her formal dress.
“Alright.” Serena pulled out her phone and opened an app in a folder labeled ‘in case of Irene.’ “Here, play with this.” The maid handed her ward the phone.
“Oooh,” Irene took the phone gleefully. On the screen was a looping animation of a ball floating around a fish tank, which practically entranced the small child. The screen was locked into the app, so there was minimal chance Irene would break into the rest of the phone. Regardless, she was too enamored with the strange app to even care to try.
‘Best two serens[1] I ever spent,’ Serena nodded before looking back to the room. ‘Seriously, what is this place for? Does someone actually live here?’
\\~~~\\ //~~~//
Luckily for Serena, Irene became so enamored with the fish tank and ball app that she tired herself out and fell asleep. By some miracle, the maid would have a brief moment to herself tonight. Not that she could go far, but it would still be a nice break. The raven-haired girl stepped out of the room and took a deep breath. Now would be a good time to secure any potential escape routes in case either Irene decides to start trouble or another psychopath tries to kill them.
“Doing well, Serena?” Orpheo approached the younger girl.
“I’m fine, Orpheo,” Serena bowed. “Just need a moment to collect myself.”
“No need to be so restrained,” Orpheo shook his head. “Listen, you’ve had a rough week. Why don’t you go outside for some fresh air, and I’ll watch the princess for a moment?”
“I couldn’t possibly,” Serena shook her head sheepishly.
“Don’t you worry, I’m a Diane too, it’s in our blood to handle this sort of thing,” Orpheo assured her. “Besides, I’ve seen what she can do, and I know all the stories from Dusa. I can handle her for half an hour, especially,” he listened intently, “while she’s sleeping so soundly.”
“Well,” Serena exhaled, finally realizing how tired she was, and not just from the night, but in general, “I guess I could use a brief break. I’ll try to be back in 15…maybe 20 minutes at the most.”
“Take your time.” Orpheo nodded as Serena made her way to the servant’s entrance.
\\~~~\\ //~~~//
Serena stepped out the servant’s entrance, which, of course, was located right next to the stables (just what she needed on her break: the fresh scent of pegasus poop), and exited into the hot summer night. The waxing half-moon hung in the sky and provided a modest beacon of light in the darkness. Unfortunately, the lack of a breeze, mixed with the dry heat of the night, made it less than comfortable outside. The maid could already feel her clothes sticking to her skin. Despite that, the view from atop the hill, a rushing river and humble forest bathed in moonlight, was breathtaking.
‘Maybe I’ll make my break only ten minutes. I’m sweating like a pig out here,’ Serena fanned herself as the breeze finally picked up a little. As the maid stepped further out into the night to catch the airflow, she heard a rustle nearby. Ever paranoid thanks to the last few months, Serena went on guard as she turned to see a silhouette in the stables. ‘Crap, please be a stable hand.’
As Serena’s eyes adjusted to the dark and the figure stepped a little closer into the moonlight, the maid realized it was just a tall girl working in the stables. Not a would-be assassin nor Bellero back for another round.
‘I wonder who that is? They look friendly enough,’ Serena thought to herself. However, the longer she stared, the more familiar the person seemed. As they bent over to either adjust their shirt or some unseen object in front of them, Serena racked her brain to figure out who it was. She rubbed her eyes, wondering if they were playing tricks on her, and once the maid looked again, she finally realized it wasn’t a girl she was staring at, but Astor’s back.
‘How’d I make that mistake?’ Serena questioned herself. ‘I guess he kind of has a feminine figure, if you count tall and lean as feminine. Maybe I’m just tired and losing my mind, 20 minutes it is.’ She walked over to the stable, found a loose crate sitting outside of it, and took a seat. Just a quick rest was all she needed to power through the rest of the formal, and then a nice long sleep in bed (which, based on how late it was already, would probably be about 5 hours if she was lucky).
\\~~~\\
IV //~~~//
As Serena basked in the moonlight, Astor noticed her and came to the edge of the stable, rested their elbows on the exterior wall, and stared at the maid. It took the relaxed Serena a couple of minutes to notice this new presence. Still, she didn’t say anything, waiting for Astor to speak first. However, after five minutes of this, neither worker had uttered a word, and the raven-haired girl couldn’t stand the awkward silence any longer.
“Please say something,” Serena pleaded.
“Oh, don’t mind me, just admiring the view,” Astor replied with a smile.
“Gah,” Serena felt her heart skip a beat. ‘Brain, this is why we’re having that talk later. I can’t keep getting flustered like this.’
“The moon is beautiful tonight, don’t you think?” Astor clarified.
‘Oh, of course, just play it off, you smooth talking…wait…’ Serena’s mental train of thought came to a complete halt. “Please be careful how you word statements like that. You might give somebody the wrong idea,” she stuttered out. ‘Don’t read too much into it. He’s just making an old literary reference as a joke…right?’
“To be so bold, I could never,” Astor chuckled, which only frazzled Serena’s nerves further. “You’re an interesting girl, Serena. You’ve defied all my expectations. Frankly, I don’t know what to make of you.”
“What do you mean?” The maid was taken aback. While the statement might have read as sarcastic, the way Astor said it was so genuine that now Serena was the one who didn’t know what to think.
“A noble turned high-ranking worker who has excelled as much as you have in such a short time has every right to be elitist, yet,” the brunette commented wistfully, “you’re so down to earth, so grounded. You’ve gone through so much in such little time, but here you are, so at peace despite your circumstances.”
‘I’d hate to burst his bubble, but he couldn’t be any more wrong about me. Although, maybe he’s impressed I haven’t lost my mind yet (jury is still out on that). Still, it’s nice to be complimented,’ Serena thought, blushing slightly. “Thank you.”
“Don’t be so modest, I’m being serious. I could never lie to a lady.” Astor turned up the charm, but this time Serena was ready and furiously held those teenage hormones in check. The maid briefly considered asking the young man about his family situation, but thought better of it.
“I wish Caenia had warned me that you were like this,” Serena pivoted to her usual sardonic comments.
“And friends with Caenia too? Another notch in your apron,” Astor joked. “Me and her go a little ways back, but I haven’t had a chance to speak to her since she came back just as suddenly as she left. I hear she’s changed a lot.”
“She was different before?” Serena’s interest was captured.
“Fierce and elegant, a maid like no other, although now I hear she’s mostly fierce,” Astor explained. “I’m interested to see how she’s holding up. It’s been a while since we last sparred. I might have surpassed her by now.”
“That’s a bold statement.” Serena’s eyes went wide. ‘There’s no way. Caenia was a freak of nature, even when she was rusty. Heck, even when she was still a drunkard, I would have had no chance, but the way Astor is speaking, I don’t think those are empty boasts.’
“It’d certainly rattle her, and then she’d make me prove it,” Astor laughed. “It’d be a fun time.”
“For you maybe. I, for one, am not eager to spar with her again anytime soon,” Serena shook her head. “I just don’t have it in me.” Her last line provoked a reaction from Astor, whose unflinching smile finally faltered.
“There it is again,” Astor muttered.
“There’s what?” Serena noticed Astor’s change in demeanor.
“You and your ability to surprise me,” Astor explained. “I could never imagine a Diane being anything but proud, especially one who accomplished so much in so little time. Yet here you are, modest bordering on self-deprecating.”
“I’m only being realistic,” Serena felt…well, she wasn’t sure, but called out was a close approximation. “The only thing I’ve accomplished is humiliating myself on the regular, and on national TV at least once.”
“How so? You’ve saved Her Highness’s life multiple times, you’ve bested a high noble in competition, you’ve fought off assassins, and rumor has it you’ve tangled with monsters too,” Astor praised her. “You’re practically as much of a prodigy as Caenia, little lady. I can’t help but say I’m a little jealous.”
“Don’t ever let her hear you say that.” Serena was completely embarrassed by the unbridled praise. “Besides, you’re the prodigy here, not me, I’m just a nobody barely hanging on. I shouldn’t even be here, but the powers that be decided I should, and that was final.”
“You’re a strange girl, Serena,” Astor’s smile renewed. “And here I had this whole speech about all the hard work I put in to reach this point, but here you are, wishing to leave a job that most workers would kill for because you think you don’t belong.”
“I-” Serena felt the words die in her throat. “I’m…I’m sorry.”
“What are you apologizing for? I’m the one who made assumptions,” Astor chuckled.
“I…it’s just, I never have these genuine conversations anymore. Everyone around here is just a little…out there,” Serena admitted. “I’ve gotten so used to things flying off the handle for no reason that I don’t know how to feel when I can just talk to someone normally.”
“It grows on you,” Astor laughed.
“Doubt it.” Serena rolled her eyes before checking her communicator for the time. “Crud, I’ve been out here too long. I need to get back to Princess Irene, but it’s been nice talking to you, Ast-”
“Hi ho, Alexander,” Bellero’s voice echoed from above.
“Oh, come on!” Serena shouted as she raised her hands into the air in frustration.
\\~~~\\ //~~~//
Bellero inaugurated his sudden return with a dive bomb on Serena and Astor’s location. The two workers leaped out of the way of the attack with Serena cursing her terrible luck. Without missing a beat, Bellero broke out of his dive with a loop-de-loop before focusing his lance on Astor.
“I have returned yet again. I’d pause for applause, but it appears we are without a proper audience,” Bellero announced. “I was but a fool in our last encounter. I realized you must be Princess Atlanta’s latest suitor. I apologize, but your lofty aspirations end now.”
“You appear to be mistaken, Young Lord Bellero. I have no such relationship with the princess,” Astor dodged the noble’s lance.
“That’s what the last dozen servants said, and I didn’t believe their flimsy lies either!” Bellero roared as he commanded his steed to perform a razor-sharp turn.
“Is he always like this?” Astor turned to Serena.
“Unfortunately,” Serena sighed, ‘if we’re lucky, he’ll forget about Orion because of this, but probably not.’ She wasn’t going to bother giving Bellero any warnings this time. He’d already burned up her patience earlier. This time, while it won’t be her exact goal, she wouldn’t be above sending him home in an ambulance. “Don’t worry about pulling your punches, Astor. I already asked Princess Atlanta for full permission to fend him off if he attacked again, and that extends to you. Not that I expected to use it so soon, but what can you do?”
“I won’t need to worry about punches, just a simple command should…oh dear,” Astor’s eyes went wide. Bellero’s pegasus was completely blindfolded and its ears covered. Forget about issuing it commands, the animal shouldn’t even know where it was.
“I am no fool. Your mastery over animals forced my steed to betray me in our last encounter,” Bellero explained. “Now you have no such advantage, but I still hold all the cards, as Alexander is more than capable of flying blind under my skilled control.” While it sounded like his usual nonsensical boasts, the pegasus had been flying with an unmistakable grace despite its new handicap. It seemed Bellero really was that good.
“Never mind, it seems we will be trading blows.” Astor took a fighting stance, but instead of putting up his arms, he held up one of his long legs. Much like before, he disappeared from Serena’s vision in a swift burst of wind before appearing beside Bellero in mid-air. “Lights out.” Astor kicked Bellero’s side, sending the noble hurtling off course. However, whether through grit or stubbornness, Bellero stayed conscious and righted his steed.
“It’ll take more than that to stop me!” Bellero shouted as he attacked Astor again, but the worker stayed one step ahead. Astor practically danced through the air on the back of some kind of wind magic. While they weren’t exactly flying, with how they elegantly danced through the air, they might as well have been. It was more an intricate combination of gliding, slow falling, and mid-air jumps, like a coordinated routine. But instead of skating on ice or tearing up a dance floor, Astor treated all the air around them like one big stage.
‘Looks like Bellero finally met his match,’ Serena thought as she followed the fight as it strayed from the stables and closer to the steep hill. ‘I almost don’t want to get involved because Astor has this, but I won’t put it past Bellero trying something stupid and nearly getting them both killed. If that happens…well, let’s hope that doesn’t happen, and I don’t have to make any choices of consequence.’
“I’m over here, young lord,” Astor taunted the noble who continued to fail to hit with his lance strikes.
“Hold still!” Bellero grew so frustrated he forgot both his manners and his showboating tendencies. “Hmm? Never mind, keep moving, and we’ll see how this ends for you,” the noble noticed the rapidly approaching hill. Naturally, he thought less ground would restrict Astor’s movements, but he never considered that this was part of Astor’s plan.
‘Now for the grand finale,’ Astor dashed backward towards the top of the hill. Up this close, anyone could tell it was dangerously steep, even in the darkness of the night. If you tripped and fell, it was going to be a one-way journey. You were not getting back up without either climbing equipment or outside help. ‘With so much open space, I’d be willing to bet young lord idiot over there will see this as a golden opportunity to come at me at full speed. Too bad he’ll miss and only go flying into the night…maybe even with a concussion if I’m feeling vindictive, but that probably won’t be necessary. At those speeds, he won’t be able to turn on a dime anymore, especially with his mount practically blind and deaf.’
“Your life is mine, and then the Princess’s hand!” Bellero declared as he charged at the worker at full speed.
‘This can only end well. Hopefully Astor has a plan…’ Serena’s thoughts were interrupted by her danger sense going haywire. She could see the course of events laid out before her: Astor would dodge the strike at the last minute, but Bellero’s frantic and frustrated motions would cause the former to be just barely swiped. While Bellero would be sent careening off, Astor would stumble off the ledge and down the hill into who knows what. Serena couldn’t let that happen. ‘Shit, with these stupid heels I can’t run there in time, but who said anything about running?’ The maid channeled her magic into her shoes, charging them up with kinetic energy like a spring.
“Hi ho!” Bellero stabbed his lance forward, which Astor tried to nimbly dodge. However, just as Serena predicted, Bellero’s arm twitched to the side, and the lance caught Astor’s shirt, tearing it open and dealing a glancing blow to the servant.
“Gaah, Jacka--!” Astor bit their lip as they slammed Bellero with another kick, sending the noble into a death spiral over the hill. However, the force of the blow knocked Astor back, and since they couldn’t actually fly, their wind magic could only slow their fall. Plus, they were being knocked backward, which made gliding awkward. Astor’s best hope would be a tightly timed forward roll to get back on their feet. ‘Just need to use my…hands…’ Astor froze at the thought of even using their hands for such a risky maneuver. Despite the potential life-or-death scenario, something about having to rely on their own two hands gave them pause. By the time they’d realized what their hesitation would cost them, Astor had already missed the window.
“Got you!” Serena appeared in a
spurt of flames, having bounded over with her strongest burst of magic yet. She
grabbed Astor’s hand, and the older servant almost flinched at the action. They
needed a moment to come to their senses and be grateful. Alas, just when the
two thought they might be safe, the loose ground beneath Serena’s feet gave
way, and they both went tumbling down the hill towards a rushing river far
below.
To be Continued…
>>>~~~~<<<
Reoccurring workplace harassment is no laughing matter and should be dealt with quickly and appropriately less you allow more problems to sprout up in its wake. It is best to bring up such chronic issues to the chain of command as it is clear at this point that it cannot be hashed out between individuals.
Author's Note: Okay so I didn't get this out the week after the previous one, but the final part will be out next week. As for the story itself, we have Serena's classic issue of her best efforts blowing up in her face at the last second. Poor girl can't catch a break. I'll have more to say next week as most I can say needs the context of the end of this chapter. As for what I can say, Astor has been a different kind of character to write for, someone who can make Serena flustered in a good way exposes a new side of her character. Aphros has made her flustered before, but more in the embarrassed or scared way. Astor makes her flustered in that way only exaggerated teenagers in fiction can make each other feel. More on this later.
Until next time, Read, Comment and Enjoy.
No comments:
Post a Comment